How to dispute a toll bill

Call 1-866-936-8246

You can dispute any part of the toll bill that you feel you are not responsible for. Most disputes can be resolved by the first customer service representative you speak with due to specific mitigating circumstances.

Other ways to lower your toll bill
You can now request first-time forgiveness of all unpaid civil penalties and late fees with no questions asked, as long as you agree to pay the original tolls.

You can also save money on tolls by opening a Good To Go! account. Call to open an account, then ask to pay your old toll bills through the new account to save $1.75 per toll.

Should I call or submit a written dispute?
Calling is the fastest way to dispute a toll bill. Formal written disputes are not required in most cases, and may take longer to process.

Reasons for disputing an entire toll bill:

  • The vehicle was sold/transferred prior to the time the tolls occurred. (You will need to provide a bill of sale or proof of change in ownership.)
  • The vehicle license plate in the picture is not your plate.
  • The vehicle was stolen, rented, or you are not the registered vehicle owner.
  • An error made by the Department of Transportation.

Reasons for disputing a late fee or civil penalty:

  • You did not receive the toll bills.
    Toll bills are mailed to the address on file for the vehicle's registered owner with the Department of Licensing. You will need to verify that this information was up to date as part of your dispute.
  • You have a Good To Go! account and were unaware bills were not being paid.
  • This is your first time receiving a late fee / civil penalty and you would like to request one-time forgiveness.
  • Other mitigating circumstances such as hospitalization, military deployment, eviction, divorce, homelessness, death or death of an immediate family member.

Toll exempt vehicles:

  • Carpools who did not know the rules on the I-405 express toll lanes can call customer service and we'll waive your first Pay By Mail bill. If you ordered a Flex Pass online, you can request a credit for carpool trips made while you were waiting for it to arrive.
    To avoid getting charged as a carpool on I-405 in future, you'll need to get a Good To Go! account with a Flex Pass set to HOV mode and the right number of occupants. If you carpool at least once a week on I-405, you can request a free Flex Pass while supplies last.
  • Motorcyclists who receive toll bills on the I-405 express toll lanes may also email us to ask for their bill to be waived. Motorcyclists need to install a free motorcycle pass to avoid a toll bill. If a pass is installed and you receive a bill, let us know right away so we can determine the cause, check your pass, and correct the bill. If you choose not to install a pass, a toll bill will be issued for your trips on I-405 express toll lanes, and you will need to contact us to avoid a civil penalty.

Will I need to attend an administrative court hearing?
No. Most disputes can be resolved by the first customer service representative you speak with over the phone.

In some rare cases, such as for a customer appealing a previous administrative court judgment, it may be necessary to request a written or in-person review by an administrative court judge.

Is this considered a moving violation? Will this go on my driving record?
No. A toll violation is a civil penalty, and it will not affect your personal or commercial driver license. No points will be assessed to your driving record and no record of this infraction will be sent to your insurance company. However, if you fail to pay the associated fine, the Good To Go! customer service center will notify the Department of Licensing, and it may affect your ability to renew your vehicle license tabs. Failure to properly register your vehicle may result in additional infraction and criminal charges.