Determining jurisdiction of wetlands and other waters

Before preparing a Wetland & Stream Assessment Report, determine which agencies have jurisdiction over the waters in or around the work area.

Find how to identify wetlands and waters on the Wetland Reconnaissance & Assessment webpage. Once you know which agencies have jurisdiction, apply for permits using the Environmental permits & approvals webpage.

The Corps has jurisdiction to issue permits for discharge into wetlands and streams under Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act and Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (CWA).
Washington State Department of Ecology and tribes have jurisdiction over waters of the state.
Cities and counties also regulate wetlands and other aquatic resources.