Other aquatic resource permits & approvals

When work is in or around surface and groundwater, there are two permits that you may need that do not accept Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application (JARPA). Use the information below on when and how to apply for a Bridge Permits and Water Rights Permits. 

Bridge Permits under the Section 9 of the Rivers and Harbors Act  

Work on a transportation structure (culvert, buried structure, bridge, approaches, or abutments) over a waterbody requires a navigability determination from the US Coast Guard (USCG). If navigable, a Bridge Permit from the USCG may also be required.

  • For bridge work - Look up the bridge in the Bridge Engineering Information System (BEISt). If you do not see a navigability determination from the USCG in the structure details, contact Glenn Waldron, Glenn.Waldron@wsdot.wa.gov, Bridge office.
  • For culvert work - Look up the culvert in the Fish Passage Site Management System. If you do not see a navigability determination from the USCG in the attachments for your site, contact Tara Stone, tara.stone@wsdot.wa.gov, Environmental Services Office.

Keep a copy of the navigability determination letter from the USCG with your other work records. Note the date of the letter in your environmental document.

Contact Glenn Waldron, Glenn.Waldron@wsdot.wa.gov, if the letter indicates that the waterbody is navigable and a permit or additional coordination is needed.

Find additional bridge permit information, including a detailed definition of “bridge” on the USCG Bridge Permit Website.

Water Rights Permit

If your work uses surface water or groundwater, you may need a water rights permit from the Washington Department of Ecology (relevant statutes: RCW 90.03WAC 173-152WAC 508-12). Get temporary water rights for dust control during construction. Schedule a pre-application consultation with your region’s Ecology office before applying for a water right.

Information about water rights is available on the Water right permits webpage.